The Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED) requires all schools to publish specific and measurable equality objectives, to be updated at least every four years.
Equality objectives may relate to any of the three aims of the public sector equality duty:
· Eliminate unlawful discrimination
· Advance equality of opportunity
· Foster good relations between people from different equality groups
They may link to challenges already identified in the school improvement plan, might respond to gaps identified through data analysis, or may result from consultation with pupils, staff and parents.
Objectives need to be clearly focused and demonstrate measurable outcomes, ideally with a timeframe to help measure success or progress towards achieving an objective.
They should be clearly relevant to the groups with protected characteristics named in the Equality Act (gender, disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion and belief, and sexual orientation), but may refer also to groups disadvantaged by social and economic factors.
Schools should meet the minimum requirement of setting at least one objective but the number should be proportionate to the school’s size and circumstances and range of equality issues.
The objectives must be accessible to parents and members of the local community and published on the website but the format is determined by the school.
· To promote spiritual, moral, social and cultural development through appropriate curricular opportunities, with particular reference to issues of equality and diversity.
· To reduce prejudice and increase understanding of equality through direct teaching across the curriculum.
· To promote cultural development and understanding through a rich range of experiences both in and beyond school.
· To continue to tackle any prejudice and promote understanding in relation to people with disabilities.
· To continually consider how well the school ensures equality of opportunities for all its pupils.
· To narrow the gap in the attainment and progress of all vulnerable / disadvantaged groups.
· To ensure the environment and school buildings are safe and accessible for all groups of users.